Wichita Falls Man Faces Two Counts of Aggravated Assault
Police in Wichita Falls have arrested 26-year-old Richard Lee Williams on two counts of aggravated assault. Williams allegedly stabbed two customers at The Haystack Bar on June 24. He was arrested and has been in jail on the first charge since August 1, and was issued an arrest warrant for the second count on Friday.
The following information was found in the arrest affidavit:
- At around 1:30 a.m. on June 24, Wichita Falls police were called to the Haystack at 315 North Scott Ave over a disturbance.
- Officers found signs of a disturbance, including possible blood.
- Officers found four people at the emergency room at United Regional Health Care System.
- The people at the ER told officers that Williams started a disturbance and stabbed two of them at the Haystack.
- One man told officers that Williams started the incident when he touched one of the women the man was with on the arm.
- The argument turned into a physical altercation and Williams pulled out a knife.
- Williams allegedly cut the man he was arguing with on the face and chest.
- A second man in the group attempted to stop the fight, and Williams stabbed him in the abdomen.
- All four people at the hospital corroborated this story.
- Three of the four people at the hospital ID’ed Williams in a photo lineup.
History of Violent Incidents At The Haystack
This is the second time The Haystack Bar has made headlines for violence this summer. On June 5, a 33-year-old woman was stabbed in the right leg in the parking lot of the bar. This incident was reported when the woman went to United Regional Hospital for treatment. Police think that the victim knew the alleged perpetrator, who they believe to be a 29-year-old black female.
In April 2016, 27-year-old Ashlei Couch was arrested and charged with murder in connection with a shooting at The Haystack. Police arrived on the scene and found at least two people with gunshot wounds. 48-year-old Douglas Harne died at the hospital from his wounds, and 28-year-old Stephon Wiley suffered serious bodily injuries.
Legal Options For Victims Of Bar Violence
Bar owners (and all other types of property owners) have an obligation to keep their properties safe from any foreseeable dangers. Keeping customers safe from the threat of violence is part of this obligation. While some violent acts may not be foreseeable, some establishments have a history of violence. When a bar, nightclub, or other business is aware of the risk of violence, it’s up to them to do something to reduce that risk. In some cases, the victims of violence in bars and nightclubs may have legal recourse against the business owner. This applies to cases where the incident can be attributed to negligence by the business owner, such as inadequate security measures.
Location of The Haystack In Wichita Falls
- East Glacier Park, Montana – Former East Glacier Park School Teacher Sierra Shawnee Taylor Pleads Guilty to Sexually Abusing 2 Students - July 23, 2019
- San Antonio, Texas – 1 Injured After Suspected Drunk Driver Causes Crash on Wurzbach Road and Dalewood Place - July 22, 2019
- Oak Forest, Illinois – 2 People Injured in Shooting Outside of Linger Martini Bar - July 22, 2019