The Legal Herald Logo
Legal Analysis By Attorneys
Breaking Legal News

Maritime Lawyers Representing Injured Rhode Island Offshore Workers

When maritime workers come to us after offshore injuries in Rhode Island, they often have many questions:

  • Am I entitled to financial compensation?
  • What type of claim should I file?
  • Are my medical expenses covered?
  • Will I still get paychecks while out of work?
  • Can I sue my employer if the injury was their fault?
  • How can a lawyer help me?

Offshore Accident Lawyers In Rhode Island

We can help you learn more about your rights after an offshore injury. Contact our experienced Rhode Island offshore injury attorneys today for a free consultation.

They made sure I got the compensation I needed after my injury. 
- Logan Francis

While the maritime industry in Rhode Island may be dwarfed by larger states, the location on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean means that various maritime trades play a big role in the state’s economy. Commercial fishers, cargo ship crew members, longshoremen, dock, and harbor workers, among others all make a living off of these trades. Additionally, countless local businesses rely on these ports and harbors to provide their goods, supplies, and products.

Compensation After An Offshore Injury

When maritime or offshore injuries occur, it’s important that victims and their loved ones receive the financial compensation they need while recovering from their injuries. These workers are covered by different maritime laws which vary depending on job duties.

Crew members, seamen, and other vessel workers are generally covered under by Jones Act insurance coverage. Longshore, dock, and harbor workers are not covered under this Act, but may seek financial compensation through other maritime laws.

To learn more, contact our Jones Act law firm today. 

rhode island lighthouse on shore
Find A Local Lawyer

  • Details
  • Incident
guy d'andrea sexual abuse lawyer
Hi. I am attorney Guy D'Andrea. If you or a loved one were injured or killed in a similar incident, I would be happy to speak with you and discuss your options.
Call the number below. It would be my honor to help you. Consultations are free.
(888) 997-3792

Jones Act Workers Comp Coverage

Under the Jones Act, eligible offshore workers can sue their employers if they were injured due to some form of negligence. These employers have a duty to keep their work environments safe and free of hazards which could lead to a serious injury. A failure to meet this duty legally constitutes negligence. This doesn’t only include specific hazards – if a co-worker makes a mistake and you’re injured as a result, you can still hold your employer liable for negligence. It’s your employer’s responsibility to make sure all employees are properly trained.

You also may have the option to hold the vessel owner liable if your work vessel has been deemed unseaworthy. Vessel owners also have a duty to make sure their ships are in proper working order and in compliance with safety standards. If any unsafe condition existed on the ship at the time of your injury, you could have grounds for an unseaworthiness claim against the owner of the ship.

Maritime Commerce In The Port of Providence

Rhode Island only has a total of six ports and harbors. Most of these are small harbors which primarily cater to recreational boating. The majority of maritime commerce in Rhode Island occurs at the Port of Providence.

The Port of Providence processes about 2,000 ships per year, which move over 9 million tons of cargo through the port. Popular cargoes include salt, cement, asphalt, and petroleum products. Some of these ships export recycled metal to international markets.

The port is responsible for hundreds of direct employer jobs, in addition to thousands of other multiplier jobs that rely on the port (such as truck drivers, service technicians, etc.).

What To Do After An Offshore Injury In Rhode Island?

If you’ve recently been injured in a Rhode Island offshore or maritime work accident, it’s important to seek legal guidance from an experienced maritime lawyer. Seeking financial compensation for a maritime injury differs from a land-based workers’ compensation claim. Maritime injury claims are made at the federal level and involve the highly specialized field of maritime law.

If you’re covered under the Jones Act, it’s crucial to have a lawyer who can help you establish negligence and prove how that negligence caused your injury. Additionally, legal guidance is usually necessary for court appearances and negotiations with insurance companies.

Maritime workers who are not covered under the Jones Act also may require assistance when filing a Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation claim.

You can find out more about your options with no obligation in a free legal consultation. One of our experienced maritime lawyers can help you better understand your rights and begin planning for your recovery. Contact us today to find out more.

See Related: Maritime Laws For Financial Compensation After A Massachusetts Offshore Injury

About the Author
About Paul
Editor: Paul is a staff editor who focuses on bringing you the most important legal news regarding cases of sexual assault, drunk driving, and preventable violence. Contact Paul: This article was fact checked prior to publishing by this author to ensure compliance with our rigorous editorial standards. We will only use authoritative sources. Our values compel us to provide only trustworthy information. If you find an error, please contact us.
Read some recent posts
Got A Tip Or Questions 
About A Story?
Call Us!
The Legal Herald
Find A Local Lawyer

  • Details
  • Incident
boat bottom being cleaned
Want To Contribute Breaking News? 
Contact Us Today
Legal Herald
10355 Kensington Shore Dr. #102
Orlando, FL 32827
Call: (888) 997-3792
© 2020 The Legal Herald, a division of Eagle Peak Marketing, LLC. All rights reserved.

We would like our readers to know that the information in this story may be sourced from secondary sources and may therefore contain inaccuracies. We will correct them if and when they are brought to our attention or we discover them through our editing process. If you have any concerns about this post, please contact us immediately and we will rectify issues. DISCLAIMER: The material contained in this post is for general informational purposes. It is not intended to constitute or express legal or medical advice. Any laws referenced herein are substantially based on general legal principles and may not be applicable to your particular situation. Laws can often be different from one jurisdiction to the next. The Legal Herald is not a law firm. Law firms and lawyers from around the country may apply to become a sponsor or contributor to The Legal Herald.
SitemapMedia RoomDisclaimer / Terms Of Service & Privacy Policy