New Rochelle Police Investigate Sex Abuse Allegations at Albert Leonard Middle School
Investigators for the New Rochelle Police Department are investigating a claim that a student was sexually abused by a security guard at Albert Leonard Middle School.
The police say that on February 8, they were notified that a student was allegedly abused by a security guard in January. That security guard is no longer employed by the middle school. No charges have yet been filed, so little information is currently available regarding this case.
The New Rochelle School District released a statement saying that they immediately contacted the New Rochelle Police Department after being notified of the allegations involving the security guard and that they are fully cooperating with the investigation.
Legal Recourse for Survivors of Sexual Assault by School Employees
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of AbuseGuardian.com is a former sex crimes prosecutor who now represents survivors of sexual assault in civil lawsuits. Here are some of his thoughts on the legal options available to survivors of abuse by school employees:
Every school has a responsibility to put the safety of their students above all else. Our schools must be aware of the tragic fact that sexual predators often seek out positions of trust and authority that involve working with kids. These dangers must be guarded against with preventative measures like background checks and policies that limit the potential for abuse on campus. Additionally, students who come forward with allegations of sexual abuse by employees must be taken seriously and law enforcement must be notified.
In some cases of school employee sexual abuse, the school district is at fault for failing to keep their students safe. Some common examples of this type of negligence include:
- Hiring an employee who had a history of sexual misconduct
- Failing to run a background check
- Failing to report suspected abuse to law enforcement in a timely manner
- Attempting to cover up abuse by employees
When a school’s negligence is found to have played a role in enabling abuse, the victims and their families may have grounds for a lawsuit.
If you or your child is a survivor of sexual abuse by a school employee, it’s important to be fully aware of your legal options. After contacting the police, we advise discussing your case with an experienced sexual abuse survivors attorney.
Location of Albert Leonard Middle School in New Rochelle, NY
- Eugene, Oregon – Worker Killed By Excavator On Delta Highway / Beltline Interchange Construction Site - January 21, 2020
- Dalton Township, Michigan – Matthew D. Potter Charged with DUI Following Hit and Run Crash at School Bus Stop - January 17, 2020
- Raleigh, North Carolina – Construction Worker Killed In Trench Collapse Off T.W. Alexander Drive - January 16, 2020