Construction Worker Fatally Struck by Suspected Drunk Driver
A construction worker was killed on Interstate 35 near Overton Road in Dallas early Thursday morning after an accident involving a suspected drunk driver. A construction crew was working to remove a large sign when a pickup truck drove through the construction zone and struck the sign. The sign then struck the worker and killed him.
The driver of the pickup truck failed a field sobriety test. He was arrested for drunk driving and may face intoxication manslaughter charges.
Southbound I-35 was closed at Highway 67 into the morning rush hour while the accident was being investigated.
The names of the victim and the driver have not been released.
Liability for DUI Accidents in Texas
Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney has offered some insight into different types of liability for alcohol-related accidents in Texas:
In any state, the victims of alcohol-related accidents have the option to file a personal injury lawsuit against the intoxicated individual who caused the accident. However, in Texas and many other states, there are some situations in which third parties can also be sued for DUI crashes and other alcohol-related accidents. There are known as “dram shop” claims.
According to Texas’ dram shop laws, both alcohol vendors and social hosts can be held liable for alcohol-related accidents and injuries if they provided alcohol to the individual who caused the accident. Alcohol vendors can be held liable for an injury caused by a customer if:
- the alcohol was sold or given to a minor under age 18, or
- when the alcohol was sold, the customer was “obviously intoxicated” and posed “a clear danger” to the safety of others, and
- the intoxication was a foreseeable cause of the accident and subsequent injuries.
Social hosts over age 21 can be held liable for alcohol-related injuries if they provide alcohol to someone under age 18 and:
- the host is not the parent, guardian, legal custodian, or spouse of the minor
- the adult knowingly served or provided alcohol to the minor or allowed the minor to drink on their property.
If you or someone you love has been hit by a drunk driver, it’s important to be aware of your legal rights. We advise speaking with an experienced DUI victims lawyer to learn more about your right to financial compensation.
Interstate 35 Near Overton Road
- Pasadena, California – 18-Year-Old Allegedly Shot and Killed In Parking Lot of Rose Bowl Stadium - September 17, 2019
- Moreno Valley, California – Chiropractor Sam Khumooro Accused of Sexually Assaulting a Client - September 13, 2019
- New Port Richey, Florida – Man Injured in Alleged Stabbing at Pete’s Grand Central Bar - September 12, 2019