Driver Arrested After Striking Limousine on Taft Avenue
An Endwell woman has been charged with felony vehicular assault and misdemeanor driving while intoxicated in connection with a suspected drunk driving accident that occurred in the Town of Union on September 12. State troopers say that 50-year-old Tricia Wooden was drunk when her vehicle struck a limousine on Taft Avenue. The limousine was backing into a driveway with hazard lights turned on when troopers say Wooden hit the limo while speeding.
Troopers say that Wooden’s blood alcohol content was .18 percent, which is over twice the legal limit.
The limo driver, who has not been named, was brought to Wilson Hospital for treatment of multiple serious injuries, including organ damage and broken bones.
Liability For Alcohol-Related Accidents in New York
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney represents drunk driving victims and their families and helps them recover the financial compensation they deserve. We have asked him to contribute some information on the legal options available to these victims in the state of New York:
In New York, people who have been injured in alcohol-related accidents may have the right to bring a lawsuit against both the individual who caused the accident and, in some cases, a third party such as an alcohol vendor or a party host who provided alcohol to the drunk driver before the accident. Lawsuits in this secondary are covered under “dram shop” and social host liability laws.
According to the New York Obligations Law section 11-100 and section 11-101, alcohol vendors and social hosts can be held liable under either of the following circumstances:
- when the vendor or host knowingly caused intoxication or impairment by unlawfully providing alcohol, or
- when the vendor or host knowingly caused intoxication by providing alcohol to someone they knew or had reason to believe was younger than 21 years old.
If you or a loved one has recently been injured by a drunk driver, you can learn more about your right to financial compensation by discussing your case with an experienced DUI victims lawyer.
Taft Avenue in the Town of Union
- Rockford, Illinois – Former Jefferson High School Teacher Michael Enneking Charged with Sexually Abusing a Student - September 25, 2019
- Boone County, Indiana – 2 Women, 3 Children Hospitalized After Being Hit by Suspected Drunk Driver Kenneth Long - September 5, 2019
- Lafayette, Indiana – Nancy Pulley, Sheila Browning Injured in Crash with Suspected Drunk Driver Derrick Mangis - August 21, 2019