Alleged Drunk Driver Runs Red Light, Hits Teen Crossing Street
Police in San Antonio arrested a woman who allegedly ran a red light while drunk and struck an 18-year-old man who was crossing the street on Sunday night.
The accident occurred shortly before 9:30 p.m. on the North Side of San Antonio, at the intersection of Blanco Road and Parliament Street. Police said that the driver of a van was turning from Parliament onto Blanco and ran a red light before striking the 18-year-old crossing the intersection at the crosswalk. The van also struck another vehicle.
The driver, later identified as 50-year-old Guillermina Graniel, allegedly fled the scene of the crash. A witness helped identify her. The pedestrian hit by Graniel was brought to a hospital and is expected to recover from his injuries. The driver of the other vehicle involved in the crash was treated at the scene.
Graniel has been charged with failure to stop and render aid, failure to stop and give information, and driving while intoxicated.
Filing A Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit in Texas
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney specializes in helping DUI accident victims get the financial compensation they deserve. We’ve asked him to discuss liability for drunk driving accidents in Texas:
In the United States, the victims of alcohol-related accidents and the families of those killed in such accidents often file personal injury or wrongful death lawsuits against the individual who caused the accident. But in Texas and many other states, certain types of alcohol-related accidents can result in liability for the alcohol vendor or another third party that provided alcohol to the intoxicated individual. Liability in these accidents is covered under “dram shop” laws.
According to Texas dram shop laws, alcohol vendors can be held liable for injuries caused by customers if:
- alcohol was sold or given to a minor under age 18, or
- when the alcohol was sold, the customer was “obviously intoxicated” and posed a clear danger to self and others, and
- the intoxication was a foreseeable cause of the accident and injuries.
If you or someone you love was recently hit by a drunk driver in Texas and you’re curious about your legal options, you can learn more by speaking with an experienced DUI victims lawyer.
The Intersection of Blanco Road and Parliament Street
- Lee’s Summit, MO – Little Learner Inc. Daycare Worker Joseph Hammerly Accused of Child Sex Abuse, Owner Charged with Failure to Report - July 23, 2019
- Dallas, Texas – Former City Council Member Killed By Suspected Drunk Driver on East Ledbetter Road - July 22, 2019
- Florence, Kentucky – Man Stabbed to Death at Papa’s Pub - July 22, 2019