Niagara County Man Arrested For DWI After Fatal Crash
Police in Niagara County arrested and charged a man with DWI and vehicular manslaughter following a deadly accident in the Town of Royalton on Saturday, September 15. According to the Niagara County Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded to a two-vehicle accident in front of a home at 7626 Chestnut Ridge Road at around 7 p.m. After arriving, deputies saw both vehicles on the north side of the road.
An initial investigation by the Sheriff’s Office revealed that a white station wagon was being driven westbound on Chestnut Ridge Road and pulled off to the side of the roadway. A passenger from the vehicle then exited and approached the front of the station wagon.
A black sedan was also driving westbound when this happened and struck the white station wagon from behind. The white station wagon then struck the passenger who had exited the vehicle.
The passenger, identified as 58-year-old Mary Beccari, was transported to ENH Lockport Hospital where she was pronounced dead. The driver of the black sedan, 23-year-old Nathaniel Miles, was arrested at the scene. Miles could face additional charges pending the accident investigation.
The Legal Rights of DUI Accident Victims in New York
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney fights for the rights of DUI accident victims. Here are some of his thoughts on liability for drunk driving accidents in New York:
When an intoxicated person causes an accident, those who are injured in the accident often have grounds to file a personal injury lawsuit against the person who caused the accident. Additionally, the families of those killed in alcohol-related accidents may have the right to file a wrongful death claim against that person.
In New York and many other states, there are “dram shop” laws which allow alcohol vendors to be held liable for providing alcohol to someone who caused an alcohol-related accident. These laws vary from state to state. New York’s dram shop laws allow alcohol vendors to be held liable for alcohol-related accidents and injuries if:
- someone was injured by a person who was intoxicated at the time of the injury,
- an alcohol vendor unlawfully sold or provided alcohol to the intoxicated person – meaning the customer was either under 21 years of age or already visibly intoxicated at the time of the sale, and
- the sale of the alcohol resulted in the person’s intoxication.
If you or someone you love was hit by a drunk driver, your legal options will depend on the circumstances of your accident. You can learn more about your family’s legal options by speaking with an experienced DUI victims lawyer.
The 7600 Block of Chestnut Ridge Road
- Swanzey, New Hampshire – Monadnock Regional Middle-High School Soccer Coach Alexander Waterbury Accused of Sexually Assaulting Student - July 18, 2019
- Anderson County, South Carolina – Elderly Couple Injured After Suspected Drunk Driver Rebecca Carroll Crashes Into Home - July 16, 2019
- Colorado Springs, CO – VillaSport Employee Ryan Callins Accused of Child Sex Abuse - July 15, 2019