Driver Arrested for DWI After Fatal Crash on Belt Parkway in South Jamaica, Queens
One person was killed and another suffered critical injuries in an accident involving a suspected drunk driver on the Belt Parkway in South Jamaica on February 3. A third person was arrested and charged with drunk driving offenses.
Officers responded to reports of an accident near Exit 19 of the Parkway at around 4:40 a.m. on Sunday. Upon arrival, they found 24-year-old Christon Harry with traumatic injuries all over his body. Investigators say he was likely ejected from the vehicle. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The 25-year-old driver of the same vehicle, a 2018 Dodge Challenger, was brought to a nearby hospital for treatment.
According to investigators, the Challenger was speeding on the Belt Parkway when it crashed into a barrier and flipped over. A 22-year-old woman was driving on the Parkway and collided with the Challenger.
The 22-year-old woman, Anilla Ramnarine, also suffered minor injuries and was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated.
Legal Recourse for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents in New York
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney helps drunk driving accident victims and their families recover the financial compensation they need and deserve. Here is some information from Brian on the legal options these victims have in New York:
When a drunk driver causes an accident that kills or injures others, the victims and their families have the option to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit against the driver. Additionally, New York and many other states allow these victims and families to file “dram shop” lawsuits against alcohol vendors who provided alcohol to the drunk driver – depending on certain circumstances.
In order to file a dram shop lawsuit in New York, the victim and their lawyer must establish the following:
- The injuries were caused by someone who was intoxicated at the time of the injuries,
- There was an illegal commercial sale of alcohol to the intoxicated person – including sales to someone who was “visibly intoxicated” or under 21 years of age, and
- The sale of alcohol caused or contributed to the person’s intoxication.
If you or a loved one has recently been injured in an accident with a drunk driver, you can learn more about your legal options for financial compensation by speaking to an experienced DUI accident victims attorney.
Location of the Belt Parkway in New York, NY
- Columbia County, South Carolina – 2 Men Killed, 2 Others Injured in Suspected Drunk Driving Crash on I-20 - June 18, 2019
- Newport, Rhode Island – Newport Area Career and Technical Center Teacher Steven Kalble Charged with Sexually Assaulting Student - June 12, 2019
- Radnor, PA – Archbishop Carroll High School Theater Director Christopher Serpentine Charged with Institutional Sexual Assault - June 6, 2019