Financial Compensation For People Injured by Drunk Drivers in Illinois
Attorney contributor Brian Kent represents people who have been injured by drunk drivers, helping them secure the financial compensation they need and deserve. Here’s Brian with some general information on the options for hit and run by drunk driver settlements and compensation available to people injured by drunk drivers in Illinois:
If you’ve been injured in a crash caused by a drunk driver, it’s important to be aware of your right to financial compensation. Depending on the circumstances of your crash, you may have grounds for two different types of lawsuits.
The first is a personal injury lawsuit, which is available for people injured by drunk drivers in all 50 states. Additionally, Illinois and most other states have dram shop laws, which allow alcohol vendors to be held liable for injuries caused by their customers in certain situations.
According to Illinois dram shop laws, people injured by drunk drivers may have grounds for a lawsuit against the alcohol vendor that served the drunk driver if:
- the person who caused the injuries was intoxicated at the time of the crash,
- the alcohol vendor provided alcohol to the intoxicated person, who then consumed it,
- this alcohol consumption was the cause of the person’s intoxication,
- the injuries were at least partially caused by the intoxication, and
- the injured person suffered personal injuries or property damage.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries after being hit by a drunk driver, you can learn more about your options for financial compensation in a free consultation with one of our experienced drunk driving injury victims lawyers.
The Intersection of West Glen Avenue & Sheridan Road in Peoria, IL