The Legal Herald Logo
Legal Analysis By Attorneys
Breaking Legal News

Financial Compensation Available For Injured Maryland Offshore Workers

When you suffer a maritime or offshore injury in Maryland, it’s normal to have several questions:

  • How can I support myself financially while out of work?
  • Am I legally entitled to financial compensation?
  • Will my medical bills be covered?
  • Will I receive payments for lost wages until I return to work?
  • Can I sue my employer for causing my injury?
  • Should I speak with a lawyer?

Maryland Jones Act Insurance Claims

We can help you learn more about what to expect after a maritime injury.

I was worried about paying my bills after I go hurt, but they made sure I didn’t need to worry. - Zach Shannon

In Maryland, the Port of Baltimore dominates the state’s maritime cargo industry. This port is a major contributor to the state’s economy and provides tens of thousands of jobs throughout the state. There are over 13 thousand jobs directly involved with cargo and vessel activities in the state, and these jobs create over 20 thousand indirect and induced jobs throughout the state which rely on port operations.

Maritime & Offshore Accidents Lead To Personal Injuries

Port employees make an average of 16% more than other Maryland workers. While this work may be financially rewarding, it’s also physically demanding and potentially dangerous.

Maritime and offshore worker injuries are common in Maryland. While some may be due to unavoidable circumstances, others are caused by negligence. Fortunately, there are forms of financial compensation available when an injury happens. However, recovering the compensation you deserve can be complicated. You may be eligible for a number of benefits that you may not be aware of. Indeed, after a maritime injury in Maryland, you likely have the ability to file a Jones Act claim or Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) claim.

Yet, getting the maximum benefits you deserve doesn't just come down to filing the claims. Insurance providers will employ numerous tactics to get injured maritime workers to settle for less than they deserve. With an experienced maritime accident attorney representing your interests, you can be sure that all avenues for compensation will be pursued. 

ships in baltimore harbor
Find A Local Lawyer

  • Details
  • Incident
guy d'andrea sexual abuse lawyer
Hi. I am attorney Guy D'Andrea. If you or a loved one were injured or killed in a similar incident, I would be happy to speak with you and discuss your options.
Call the number below. It would be my honor to help you. Consultations are free.
(888) 997-3792

Forms Of Compensation Available For Injured Maryland Maritime Workers

Maritime workers generally fall into one of two groups; those who spend a significant portion of time directly contributing to the function of a vessel on navigable waters, and those who primarily work on-shore as longshore, dock, and harbor workers. These two groups are covered by two different laws in the event of a work-related injury:

MD Jones Act Insurance

The first group is covered under the Jones Act. This system provides maintenance and cure benefits for any work-related injury, regardless of how the injury occurred. Maintenance provides compensation for necessary living expenses like rent/mortgages, bills, and food while cure covers medical expenses until the injury reaches maximum recovery.

Workers covered under the Jones Act may seek additional financial compensation if some form of negligence played a role in their injury. For example, if your employer failed to properly train your co-workers in safety procedures and you were injured as a result, you can sue your employer for damages similar to what you’d recover in a personal injury lawsuit. However, maritime injury cases are a specialized field of law and usually require the assistance of a lawyer with experience in these matters.

If your vessel contained a dangerous or defective condition, or any other condition which compromises the safety of the vessel, you could also hold the vessel owner liable under the concept of unseaworthiness.

Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA)

Longshore, dock, and harbor workers are not eligible to file Jones Act claims, but may instead seek compensation in a LHWCA claim. These provide similar benefits as a state-level workers’ comp claim, including coverage for lost wages, medical expenses, vocational rehabilitative services, and death benefits. However, the claims process occurs at the federal level and involves the complex field of maritime law, making it much different than the workers’ comp claims process.

Recovering Maximum Compensation

Because maritime injuries involve the complex and specialized field of maritime law, it’s usually necessary to get assistance from a lawyer who specializes in this field. This is especially important for Jones Act claims, in which you must prove that your employer was negligent and that this negligence directly contributed to your injury.

If you represent yourself, you’ll be forced to contend with your employer, their insurance carrier, and their team of skilled lawyers in court. With the assistance of a maritime injury lawyer, you can ensure you recover full compensation. In many cases, injured maritime workers receive settlements with little to no court appearances necessary.

Contact one of our experienced maritime lawyers today to find out more about your right to compensation after a maritime injury in Maryland. We can help you understand your options and guide you through each aspect of the claims process, so that you can get the maximum compensation you’re entitled to.

Continue Reading: Recovering Financial Compensation After A Connecticut Offshore Injury

dock worker holding hardhat
About the Author
About Paul
Editor: Paul is a staff editor who focuses on bringing you the most important legal news regarding cases of sexual assault, drunk driving, and preventable violence. Contact Paul: This article was fact checked prior to publishing by this author to ensure compliance with our rigorous editorial standards. We will only use authoritative sources. Our values compel us to provide only trustworthy information. If you find an error, please contact us.
Read some recent posts
Got A Tip Or Questions 
About A Story?
Call Us!
The Legal Herald
Find A Local Lawyer

  • Details
  • Incident
Want To Contribute Breaking News? 
Contact Us Today
Legal Herald
10355 Kensington Shore Dr. #102
Orlando, FL 32827
Call: (888) 997-3792
© 2020 The Legal Herald, a division of Eagle Peak Marketing, LLC. All rights reserved.

We would like our readers to know that the information in this story may be sourced from secondary sources and may therefore contain inaccuracies. We will correct them if and when they are brought to our attention or we discover them through our editing process. If you have any concerns about this post, please contact us immediately and we will rectify issues. DISCLAIMER: The material contained in this post is for general informational purposes. It is not intended to constitute or express legal or medical advice. Any laws referenced herein are substantially based on general legal principles and may not be applicable to your particular situation. Laws can often be different from one jurisdiction to the next. The Legal Herald is not a law firm. Law firms and lawyers from around the country may apply to become a sponsor or contributor to The Legal Herald.
SitemapMedia RoomDisclaimer / Terms Of Service & Privacy Policy