Father David Marcotte Charged with Child Sex Abuse
A priest who has been practicing in the Indianapolis area since 2014 has been charged with multiple child sex crimes. Father David J. Marcotte faces charges of child solicitation, vicarious sexual gratification when the victim is under 16, and dissemination of matter harmful to minors.
Police issued a warrant for Marcotte’s arrest on Friday, October 25. The sexual crimes allegedly happened in 2016, when Marcotte was an administrator at St. Martin of Tours Parish in Martinsville, Indiana.
The Archdiocese of Indianapolis suspended Marcotte in February 2019 when these allegations first surfaced. The allegations were also reported to police, but charges were only filed last week.
Marcotte has had several other ministry assignments in central Indiana since he was ordained in 2014, including:
- 2014 – Associate pastor, SS. Francis and Clare Parish in Greenwood; Catholic chaplain at the University of Indianapolis
- 2015 – Associate pastor at St. Malachy Parish in Brownsburg
- 2016 – Administrator at St. Martin of Tours Parish in Martinsville
- 2017 – Chaplain at Roncalli High School in Indianapolis; Catholic chaplain at the University of Indianapolis; sacramental assistance at SS. Francis and Clare Parish in Greenwood.
The Archdiocese of Indianapolis has asked other victims or anyone who knows a victim to contact the police and the Archdiocesan Victim Assistance Coordinator Carla Hill at 317-236-1548 or 800-382-9836, ext. 1548.
Hello, I’m attorney Jeff Gibson.
If you or a loved one is a survivor of sexual abuse, I’d be happy to discuss your legal options.
Call me on the number below. It costs nothing, and it would be my honor to help you.
Legal Options For Catholic Church Sex Abuse Victims & Their Families
Attorney contributor Jeff Gibson of AbuseGuardian.com represents sexual abuse victims and their families in civil cases. Jeff has offered to add some of his thoughts on the legal rights available to families affected by sexual abuse in the Catholic Church:
As awareness has spread regarding the widespread issues of sexual abuse facing the Catholic Church, many survivors have begun speaking out and taking legal action against the Church. In far too many cases, the sexual abuse was preventable and only happened due to organizational negligence by the Church, such as permitting accused priests to continue working in different churches.
In sex abuse cases that involve organizational negligence, the victims may have grounds for a lawsuit against the Church. In total, the Catholic Church has already paid out over $3 billion in sexual abuse lawsuit verdicts and settlements.
If you or a loved one is a victim of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, you can learn more about your family’s legal options by speaking with one of our experienced sex abuse victims lawyers in a free consultation.
St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church in Martinsville, IN
Local News Coverage From FOX 59
- Dallas, Texas – Timeria Jones Killed, 3 Others Injured in Shooting Outside 4th Quarter Sports Grill - June 5, 2020
- Eden Prairie, Minnesota – Wrestling Coach Mustafa Shabazz Charged with Sexually Abusing a Young Student - June 4, 2020
- Anderson, Indiana – Basketball Coach Marc A. Jones Charged with Raping 2 Players - June 4, 2020