4 Adults, 1 Child Hurt in Suspected Drunk Driving Accident
Four adults and one child suffered injuries in a 4-vehicle crash that police say was caused by a suspected drunk driver. According to the authorities, the driver ran a red light and caused a collision between four vehicles near the intersection of Mockingbird Lane and Roper Street early Tuesday morning.
One of the drivers and a three-year-old in their vehicle were hospitalized, but their conditions are not currently available. The drivers of the two other vehicles were treated for minor injuries at the scene and released.
The suspected drunk driver was also hospitalized following the crash. The name of that driver has not been released.
Legal Options for People Injured by Drunk Drivers in Texas
Attorney contributor Brian Kent represents people who have been injured by drunk drivers, helping them secure the financial compensation they need and deserve. We’ve asked Brian to contribute some info regarding the legal options available to people hit by drunk drivers in Texas:
In Texas and many other states, people who have been injured by drunk drivers may have the right to file two different kinds of lawsuits. All 50 states allow these individuals to file personal injury lawsuits against the driver who hit them, and Texas is one of several states with dram shop laws, which allow alcohol vendors to be held liable for serving someone who caused a drunk driving crash.
Dram shop lawsuits are dependent on specific circumstances. According to Texas’ dram shop law, alcohol vendors can be held liable for injuries caused by a customer if:
- the alcohol was provided to a minor under age 18, or
- the customer was “obviously” intoxicated and posed a clear danger to themselves or others at the time of the sale, and
- the intoxication was a foreseeable cause of the accident and injuries.
For example, if a customer was unable to walk but the bartender continued serving them, the bar could be held liable if that customer causes an injury to someone else because of how intoxicated they were.
If you or a loved one has recently been injured or killed in a crash with a drunk driver, you can learn more about your family’s legal options by speaking to an experienced car accident lawyer.
Local News Coverage from ABC 8 in Dallas
The Intersection of West Mockingbird Lane & Roper Street in Dallas, TX
- Canaan, New York – Berkshire Farm Center Employee Kelli Wagers Charged with Sexual Abuse - August 7, 2019
- Fresh Meadows, New York – Motorcyclist Juan Moncada Killed in Collision with Suspected Drunk Driver Korey Cox - August 5, 2019
- Poughkeepsie, New York – Pedestrian Suffers Life-Threatening Injuries, David Small Arrested for DWI Following Crash on Arterial - June 28, 2019