Woman Killed, Man Injured After Being Hit By Alleged Drunk Driver
A woman was killed and a man injured after they were struck by a suspected drunk driver while riding rental bikes in Dallas on August 19. The accident happened shortly after 12:30 a.m. on the south shoulder of the 1100 block of S. Riverfront Boulevard, near Cadiz Street.
The driver fled the scene and police found him at a nearby nightclub. He was given a field sobriety test and then arrested and charged with intoxication manslaughter. The suspect has been identified as 22-year-old Jacob Albiar.
Neither of the victims have been identified. The 47-year-old female victim was rushed to Methodist Central Hospital and pronounced deceased there.
Legal Recourse For Victims of Drunk Drivers In Texas
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney draws on his experience fighting for drunk driving victims to give some tips on third liability in drunk driving cases:
In Texas and across the United States, innocent victims are injured in drunk driving accidents every day. When this happens, the victim and their family often have grounds for a personal injury claim against the drunk driver whose negligence contributed to the crash and the victim’s injuries. Under certain circumstances, victims also may have grounds for a lawsuit against a business or another third party who provided alcohol to the drunk driver before the accident.
Texas has dram shop and social host liability laws which allow third parties to be held liable for injuries suffered by drunk driving victims. Alcohol vendors and social hosts may be held liable under any of the following circumstances:
- Alcohol was given or sold to a minor under age 18, or
- Alcohol was sold to someone who was obviously intoxicated to a point where he or she posed “a clear danger” to others, and
- The intoxication was a proximate or foreseeable cause of injuries.
- Adults can be held liable for knowingly serving alcohol to someone under 18.
In order to determine if a third party may be liable for your drunk driving injuries, we advise speaking about your case with an experienced drunk driving victims lawyer.
Location of Fatal Suspected DUI Accident in Dallas
- Indianapolis, Indiana – 2 Killed in Shooting at Club Venus Near Indianapolis Motor Speedway - May 13, 2019
- Maple Lake, Minnesota – Maple Lake Recovery Center Employee Accused of Sexually Abusing 3 Teen Boys - May 7, 2019
- Franklin County, Florida – Ambulance Driver Robert E. Lee Major Arrested for Allegedly Sexually Abusing Patients During Transportation - May 2, 2019