Filing a Lawsuit For Injuries Caused by a Drunk Driver in Illinois
Attorney contributor Brian Kent fights to recover financial compensation for people injured by drunk drivers. Brian has offered to share some information on the legal options available to victims of drunk driving crashes in Illinois:
Every year, thousands of people are seriously injured due to no fault of their own, but because someone else decided to drive under the influence. These injuries are often serious and may involve devastating financial and emotional difficulties. Fortunately, financial compensation is available for people injured by drunk drivers.
Drunk drivers can be sued by people they injure in personal injury lawsuits, but these are not always the only form of financial compensation available. In some cases, alcohol vendors can also be held liable through dram shop lawsuits.
According to Illinois dram shop laws, an alcohol vendor can be sued for injuries caused by a customer if the following circumstances apply:
- the customer who caused the injury was intoxicated when the injury happened,
- the alcohol vendor provided alcohol to the intoxicated person, who consumed it,
- the alcohol consumed by the intoxicated person caused their intoxication,
- this intoxication at least partly caused the injuries, and
- as a result, the injured person suffered personal injuries or property damage.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a drunk driver, you can learn more about how you can recover financial compensation in a free consultation with one of our experienced drunk driver injury lawyer.
The 3400 Block of West Belmont Avenue in Chicago, IL