Police Arrest David Love For DUI Following Rear-End Accident
Three people were injured and one driver was arrested following a suspected drunk driving accident on I-74 early Friday morning. Police were called on reports of an accident on I-74 near mile marker 191 at around 3:20 a.m. on Friday. Officers believe that Love was driving west in the left lane when he rear-ended the vehicle directly in front of him. That vehicle was carrying 46-year-old Philip Marple, 45-year-old Ann Marple, and an unnamed 16-year-old.
After the collision, Love veered off the road and crashed into median wires. The other vehicle pulled over to the right side of the road. All three people in that vehicle were treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Love was charged with driving under the influence and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.
Liability For Drunk Driving Accidents in Illinois
Attorney contributor Brian Kent from CrimeVictim.Attorney has some thoughts to add on alcohol vendor liability for drunk driving accidents:
In the United States, the victims of drunk drivers may have the option to file a personal injury claim against the driver who injured them. Additionally, Illinois and many other states have dram shop laws which allow alcohol vendors to be held liable for providing alcohol to the person who caused the injury.
According to Illinois dram shop laws, victims of alcohol-related injuries can file lawsuits against alcohol vendors as long as they prove the following:
- The person who caused the injury was intoxicated when the injury happened,
- the vendor sold or gave alcohol to the person, who consumed it,
- the person’s intoxication was caused by the alcohol they consumed,
- the injuries at least partially resulted from the intoxication, and
- as a result, the injured person suffered personal injuries or property damage.
Several states only allow vendors to be held liable if the customer was already visibly intoxicated, but this is not the case in Illinois. Here, alcohol vendors can be held liable simply for providing alcohol that caused intoxication which led to an injury.
If you or someone you love was hit by a drunk driver, you can learn more about your legal options by speaking to an experienced DUI victim lawyer.
Location of Interstate 74 Near Mile Marker 191
- Kansas City, Missouri – Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph Names Clergy Accused of Sex Abuse - September 10, 2019
- Levittown, Pennsylvania – Former St. Michael the Archangel Priest Frank Trauger Charged with Sexually Abusing 2 Altar Boys - September 4, 2019
- Houston, Texas – Massage Heights Employee James Jefferson Accused of Sexually Assaulting Customer, Undercover Cop - August 22, 2019