Jordan Perez Arrested After Vehicle Strikes Construction Worker
Police in Brooklyn arrested a man whose vehicle struck a construction worker on the Gowanus Expressway in Sunset Park early Saturday morning. The accident happened around 3:05 a.m. on the westbound side of the expressway, near the 38th Street exit.
25-year-old Jordan Perez has been charged with DUI, reckless endangerment, and vehicle assault in connection with the crash.
The 64-year-old construction worker, who has not been named, was placing orange traffic cones on the expressway when the accident occurred. He suffered a head injury and was rushed to NYU Langone Hospital – Brooklyn. He was originally listed in critical condition but has been upgraded to serious but stable condition.
The NYPD’s Collision Investigation Squad investigated the scene and the two westbound lanes of the expressway were both temporarily closed.
Legal Recourse For Drunk Driving Victims in New York
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney represents drunk driving victims and their families, helping them secure the financial compensation they deserve. We’ve asked him to contribute some commentary on the legal rights of these victims and their families in New York:
In New York, like all other states, the victims of alcohol-related accidents may have the option to file a personal injury lawsuit against the intoxicated person who caused the accident. Additionally, New York is one of several states which allow alcohol vendors and social hosts to be held liable for providing alcohol to the intoxicated person, depending on specific circumstances.
New York’s dram shop and social host liability laws allow victims of drunk drivers to sue alcohol vendors or social hosts if:
- the vendor or host provided alcohol to someone who was visibly intoxicated, or
- the vendor or host knowingly caused intoxication by unlawfully providing alcohol to someone they knew or had reason to know was under age 21.
If you or someone you love has been hit by a drunk driver in New York and you’d like to learn more about your legal options, we advise discussing your case with an experienced DUI victim lawyer.
The Gowanus Expressway Near Exit 38
- Algansee Township, Michigan – 3 Amish Children Killed, 2 Others Injured After Buggy Hit by Alleged Drunk Driver - June 13, 2019
- Dixon, Illinois – Balal Abdelhadi Arrested For Allegedly Stabbing, Wounding 2 Men at Drifter’s Saloon - May 23, 2019
- Jeffersonville, Indiana – 1 Killed, At Least 3 Others Injured In Home Explosion Caused by Natural Gas - May 22, 2019