Driver Arrested For Suspected DUI Following Fatal Accident on Highway 520
Police in Webster County arrested one of the drivers involved in a suspected DUI crash that left one woman dead and five others injured on Friday, August 31. Police say that 36-year-old Dathan Bernard Bailey was drunk when his vehicle crashed into the back of a van carrying six women on Highway 520, near the Chevron station. He has been charged with first-degree felony vehicular homicide, DUI of alcohol, following too closely, five counts of serious injury, speeding, and reckless driving.
43-year-old Agueva Frometa was driving the van and was killed in the accident. She and another five women who were riding as passengers were ejected from the van during the accident. The five women who survived were brought to Piedmont Columbus Regional for treatment of their injuries. At least one of those passengers was airlifted to Columbus for treatment of critical injuries.
Some of the injuries included broken ankles and spinal injuries. The Georgia State Police’s Specialized Crash Reconstruction team has been investigating the accident.
Liability for Drunk Driving Accidents in Georgia
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney has offered to add some legal commentary on the legal rights of drunk driving victims in Georgia:
When a victim is injured in an alcohol-related accident caused by someone else, he or she may have grounds for a lawsuit against the individual responsible for causing the accident. Additionally, Georgia and many other states have “dram shop” laws which allow victims to file lawsuits against alcohol vendors (like bars, restaurants, liquor stores, etc.) who provide alcohol to drunk drivers, depending on certain circumstances.
In Georgia, alcohol vendors can be held liable for drunk driving accidents if the vendor:
- “willfully, knowingly, and unlawfully” serves alcohol to someone under age 21, or
- “knowingly” serves alcohol to someone who is “noticeably intoxicated”, and
- the vendor knows that the minor or intoxicated person will soon be driving a motor vehicle.
If you or a loved one was hit by a drunk driver and you’re curious about your legal options, we advise discussing your case with an experienced DUI victims lawyer.
Georgia Highway 520 Near Chevron
- North Hollywood, California – LAPD Detectives Investigating Allegations of Sexual Abuse by Oxnard Street Elementary School Teacher’s Aide - May 17, 2019
- Painesville, Ohio – Man and Teenager Injured in Shooting at Liberty Tavern - May 17, 2019
- Boston, Massachusetts – 3 People Injured After Suspected Drunk Driver Allegedly Strikes Them in Crosswalk - May 14, 2019