2 Upper Valley Career Center Students Injured in Suspected DUI Crash
Two students were injured and the driver of an SUV was arrested following a suspected DUI accident near the Upper Valley Medical Center on Tuesday, September 25. An Upper Valley Career Center transport van with at least five students on board was waiting at the intersection of County Road 25A and the Upper Valley Medical Center when an SUV driving northbound attempted to turn into the medical center an collided with the transport van.
The driver of the SUV has been identified as 42-year-old Sharon Egbert, of Anna, Ohio. She was not injured, but was arrested and charged with DUI following the crash.
The two injured students were transported to Upper Valley Medical Center by Troy Fighters for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries. The Ohio State Highway Patrol is currently investigating this crash.
Liability For DUI Crashes in Ohio
Here is some information on liability for drunk driving accidents in Ohio, from attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney:
Like all other states, Ohio residents who are injured by drunk drivers may have the option to file a personal injury lawsuit against the drunk driver. Ohio is also one of many states that allow the victims of these accidents to file lawsuits against businesses and social hosts who provide alcohol to someone who causes an alcohol-related accident, depending on the circumstances leading up to the crash.
These third-party liability laws are known as “dram shop” laws. According to Ohio’s dram shop laws, a person who has been injured by an intoxicated individual can file a lawsuit against an alcohol vendor if:
- the injuries happened on the vendor’s property and were caused by the vendor’s negligence, or
- the injuries occurred outside of the vendor’s property, and the vendor “knowingly sold” alcohol to a “noticeably intoxicated” person or someone under 21 years of age.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed after being hit by a drunk driver in Ohio, we advise speaking with an experienced DUI victims lawyer to learn more about your legal options.
Location of the Upper Valley Medical Center
- Lee’s Summit, MO – Little Learner Inc. Daycare Worker Joseph Hammerly Accused of Child Sex Abuse, Owner Charged with Failure to Report - July 23, 2019
- Dallas, Texas – Former City Council Member Killed By Suspected Drunk Driver on East Ledbetter Road - July 22, 2019
- Florence, Kentucky – Man Stabbed to Death at Papa’s Pub - July 22, 2019