Toddler Hospitalized After Being Hit By Alleged Drunk Driver
A two-year-old girl was sent to the hospital after being hit by a car in Salt Lake City on Saturday, September 15.
According to the Salt Lake City Police Department, the toddler ran into the street outside of her house on 400 North when she was struck by the vehicle.
The driver stopped and exited the car. He was suspected to have been driving under the influence during the accident. The driver has been identified as 21-year-old Luis Antonio Limon Torres. He was booked on a DUI charge.
According to authorities, the driver was traveling at approximately 50 miles per hour in a 25 miles per hour zone.
The victim was brought to a nearby hospital in serious but stable condition.
Legal Options For Drunk Driving Victims in Utah
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney represents DUI accident victims and their families in civil court. We’ve asked him to share some thoughts on the different legal options available to these victims in Utah:
In all 50 states, those who are injured in alcohol-related accidents often decide to file personal injury claims against the intoxicated person who caused the accident. Utah and many other states also have “dram shop” laws which allow the victims of these accidents to file lawsuits against the alcohol vendor who provided alcohol to the individual who caused the accident and injuries.
According to Utah dram shop laws, alcohol manufacturers can be held liable for damages suffered by a person injured in an alcohol-related accident if the vendor or manufacturer provided alcohol to someone who was:
- younger than 21 years of age,
- “apparently under the influence” of alcohol or drugs, or
- someone who has been ordered not to consume alcohol,
- and that person causes an accident as a result of consuming the alcohol
For example, a bar could be held liable for drunk driving injuries if they continued to serve someone who was obviously intoxicated and that customer went on to cause an accident because they were overserved.
If you or someone you love has been injured or killed after being hit by a drunk driver, you can learn more about your legal options by speaking with an experienced DUI victim lawyer.
Local Coverage From Fox 13 Salt Lake City
Location of Suspected DUI Accident in Salt Lake City
- Spring Lake Park, Minnesota – Alleged Shooting Outside Dala Thai Restaurant and Banquet Hall Leaves 1 Dead and 7 Injured - March 26, 2020
- Dallas, Texas – Alleged Shooting During Basketball Game at Ellis Davis Field House Leaves 1 Dead, Another Injured - March 25, 2020
- Dallas, Texas – 1 Dead After Alleged Shooting at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham on Alpha Road - March 23, 2020