Naturopathic Physician Brevan Baugh Arrested on Child Sex Abuse Charges
Police in Cache County arrested 41-year-old Dr. Brevan Baugh and charged him with two counts of aggravated sex abuse of a child on July 5. According to Sheriff Chad Jensen, this case of sexual abuse is unrelated to his medical practice. However, authorities suspect that there may be other victims who have yet to come forward. Police say the victim in this case was younger than 13 when the sexual abuse began and that there were several incidents of abuse over the past five years.
The Cache County Sherriff’s Office has encouraged any others who may have been sexually abused by Baugh to contact them.
Justice For Victims of Child Sexual Abuse
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of AbuseGuardian.com offers some thoughts on how the legal system can help victims of child sexual abuse:
Survivors of child sexual abuse are often left with emotional wounds that may never fully heal. However, it is possible to move on and live a relatively normal life after experiencing this type of trauma. Finding justice is a big part of the healing process for many, and the legal system offers two different forms of justice. The criminal justice system works to punish sexual predators before they can harm others, while the civil court system allows victims to file lawsuits which can hold third parties liable for enabling abuse and provide financial compensation for the victim.
When a medical professional sexually abuses a child in a medical setting, it’s important to ask how this abuse could have been prevented:
- Was the doctor left alone with the child unnecessarily? In some states, there are laws which require a third person to be present in an examination room.
- Did the medical facility fail to run a background check on the doctor which could have revealed previous abuse allegations?
- Did the doctor’s employer fail to take abuse allegations seriously?
These are just a few of the questions we should ask when determining third-party liability in sexual abuse cases. Survivors should speak with an experienced victims rights lawyers in order to better understand their legal options.
Local Coverage From ABC 4 Utah
Location of Dr. Brevan Baugh’s Office
- Algansee Township, Michigan – 3 Amish Children Killed, 2 Others Injured After Buggy Hit by Alleged Drunk Driver - June 13, 2019
- Dixon, Illinois – Balal Abdelhadi Arrested For Allegedly Stabbing, Wounding 2 Men at Drifter’s Saloon - May 23, 2019
- Jeffersonville, Indiana – 1 Killed, At Least 3 Others Injured In Home Explosion Caused by Natural Gas - May 22, 2019