3 New Mexico College Students Injured in Suspected DUI Crash
Police in Las Cruces say an alleged drunk driver injured three New Mexico college students on Saturday, August 25. The group of students was on their way to a New Mexico State football tailgate that night when a car suddenly turned in front of them and struck them in a head-on collision.
The accident happened at around 7 p.m. on Saturday. Police believe that one of the victims, Gabby Caffaro, was driving on Del Rey Road when another SUV turned in front of her and struck her vehicle, injuring Caffaro and her two passengers.
The driver of the SUV has been identified as 48-year-old Robert Alacron, who police say admitted to drinking four 24-ounce beers within an hour before the crash. He has been charged with DWI and several other driving-related offenses.
The three injury victims are expected to recover from their injuries.
Liability For Drunk Driving Injuries in New Mexico
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney has some thoughts he would like to share on liability for drunk driving injuries in New Mexico:
Those who have been injured by drunk drivers in New Mexico may have a couple of options for legal recourse. In addition to filing a personal injury claim against the driver, these victims often have grounds for a lawsuit against an alcohol vendor under the state’s dram shop laws. New Mexico’s dram shop laws allow injured individuals to hold alcohol vendors liable if:
- The vendor sold or served alcohol to an intoxicated person, and
- the person’s intoxication was “reasonably apparent” to the vendor, or
- the vendor knew that the person buying or receiving alcohol was intoxicated.
Additionally, social hosts can be held liable in a similar way. For example, if a party host continues serving alcohol to a guest who has become visibly intoxicated and that guest causes an injury to someone else because of their intoxication, then the party host may be held liable for damages by the injured person.
If you or a loved one has recently been hit by a drunk driver, we advise discussing your legal options with an experienced DUI victim lawyer.
Local Coverage from KRQE New Mexico
Del Rey Boulevard in Las Cruces
- Rockford, Illinois – Former Jefferson High School Teacher Michael Enneking Charged with Sexually Abusing a Student - September 25, 2019
- Boone County, Indiana – 2 Women, 3 Children Hospitalized After Being Hit by Suspected Drunk Driver Kenneth Long - September 5, 2019
- Lafayette, Indiana – Nancy Pulley, Sheila Browning Injured in Crash with Suspected Drunk Driver Derrick Mangis - August 21, 2019