Salt Lake TV and Radio Host Arrested For DUI
A well-known Salt Lake City television and radio personality was arrested on suspicion of DUI after a traffic accident in Kaysville on Tuesday. 44-year-old Casey Braden Scott was charged in David County Justice Court with DUI, having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle, and a travel lane infraction.
The crash happened at the intersection of U.S. 89 and 200 North in Kaysville at around 3 p.m. on Tuesday. Scott allegedly drifted out of his lane and sideswiped a vehicle in the lane next to him. This caused him to lose control of his vehicle, run a red light, and crash into another vehicle in the intersection.
Three open beers were found in Scott’s car and officers said they smelled alcohol on his breath. He and one of the other drivers in the crash were both brought to a nearby hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
This is Scott’s second arrest for an alcohol-related accident. In 2015, he was convicted of impaired driving after another crash.
Liability For Drunk Driving Accidents in Utah
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney has some thoughts to add on third-party liability for drunk driving accidents in Utah:
When a drunk driver causes an accident and others are injured, the victims may have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit against the driver. Additionally, Utah and many other states have state dram shop laws which allow victims to also sue the alcohol vendor who provided alcohol to the drunk driver, depending on circumstances.
According to Utah’s dram shop laws, alcohol vendors can be held liable for giving, selling, or providing alcoholic products to someone who is:
- under age 21, or
- “apparently under the influence” of drugs or alcohol, or
- known to be legally ordered not to consume alcohol, and
- the person who is given alcohol causes an alcohol-related accident.
If you’d like to learn more about your family’s legal options after you or a loved one was hit by a drunk driver, we advise discussing your case with an experienced DUI victims lawyer.
Intersection of US-89 and E 200 N
- Columbus, Ohio – Genesis Hospital Doctor Austin Kosier, Church Youth Director Christian Gibson Among 104 Arrested in Child Sex Abuse Sting - October 1, 2019
- Modesto, California – Kempo Karate School Owner Carlos Loya Sentenced to 29 Years for Sexually Abusing Students - September 24, 2019
- Kansas City, Missouri – Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph Names Clergy Accused of Sex Abuse - September 10, 2019