Janesville Man Arrested on Suspicion of OWI After Crash
31-year-old Sammy Bunker was arrested for OWI on Sunday, February 10, after he allegedly caused a two-vehicle accident that left two others injured on East County Highway O.
Deputies responded to reports of an accident with injuries on the 2800 block of East County Highway O at around 9 p.m. on Sunday. They determined that Bunker was responsible for the accident and showed signs of impairment at the scene. The authorities say that Bunker was driving behind another SUV when he rear-ended the vehicle.
This was Bunker’s second arrest for OWI. He was also charged with two counts of causing injury while driving intoxicated and misdemeanor bail jumping for violating bond conditions in his first OWI arrest. He was also cited for operating a vehicle without insurance, following too closely, and operating a vehicle with a suspended license.
Legal Recourse for Drunk Driving Accident Victims in Wisconsin
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney represents victims of drunk driving accidents in civil lawsuits. We’ve asked him to share some info on the legal options available to these victims in Wisconsin:
When a drunk driver causes an accident and others are injured, the victims may choose to seek financial compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit. Many states also allow these victims to file lawsuits against third parties like alcohol vendors and social hosts. These are known as dram shop laws.
Wisconsin is one of a few states that limits liability for these third parties. However, there are some situations in which drunk driving accident victims can sue alcohol vendors and social hosts in Wisconsin:
- When alcohol is served by force or deception (such as saying there is no alcohol in the drink), or
- When alcohol is provided to a minor and that minor causes an alcohol-related accident with injuries.
If you or a loved one has recently been hit by a drunk driver, it’s important to be aware of your full legal rights. We advise discussing your case with an experienced DUI accident victims lawyer to learn more about your options for financial compensation.
Location of the 2800 Block of E County Road O
- San Antonio, Texas – 1 Injured After Suspected Drunk Driver Causes Crash on Wurzbach Road and Dalewood Place - July 22, 2019
- Oak Forest, Illinois – 2 People Injured in Shooting Outside of Linger Martini Bar - July 22, 2019
- Brookyln, New York – 2 People Injured in Stabbing at Angry Wade’s - July 20, 2019