71-year-old Dead After Alleged Stabbing in Eden Roc, HI

1 dead after alleged stabbing in Eden Roc Subdivision of Hawaii County, Hawaii

Solomon Matthews, 71, Found Dead After Alleged Stabbing in Eden Roc Subdivision

According to the StarAdvertiser, police responded to a traffic call of a naked man, Malcolm Utecht, 30, in Puna, Hawaii on Tuesday, January 7, 2020. On-scene witnesses directed responding officers to the Eden Roc Subdivision of Hawaii where Utecht was allegedly seen standing over Matthews’ body.

Utecht was reported to have been walking around the neighborhood naked, being chased off of one person’s property with a bat. Utecht then is reported to have entered the victim’s house and attacked him. Matthews defended himself with his cane, but the cane broke and Utecht used the broken cane to stab the victim in the neck.

Matthews, 71, was taken to Hilo Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. The alleged offender, Utecht, was apprehended and charged with second-degree murder, first-degree burglary, fourth-degree sexual assault, and indecent exposure.

Police are asking anyone with information to call the non-emergency hotline at 935-3311 in Hawaii County. The alleged stabbing investigation remains active.

Brian Kent - Attorney

Hi, I’m attorney Brian Kent.

If you or a loved one were injured or killed in this incident or a similar incident, I would be happy to speak with you and discuss your options.

Call the number below. It would be my honor to help you. Consultations are free.


Legal Recourse for Stabbing Victims

Attorney contributor Brian Kent represents victims of violent crime in civil lawsuits. Below Attorney Kent has shared his insight for the legal options available to victims of violent crimes and their families. His comments may help answer questions such as “Can I sue someone for stabbing me?

“When a victim decides to pursue legal action against a property owner or offender for compensation from a violent crime, finding a civil attorney that can help will be key,” says Kent.

“A surviving victim of a stabbing can incur thousands in medical bills and other expenses. Families usually bear the burden of helping in these cases and staying afloat can be challenging. Awarding an adequate amount from a civil court will help with these expenses. Restitution may also be sought through the criminal courts, requiring a judge’s signature on a court order. In some cases, only seeking compensation from the criminal court may be significantly less than a private filing in the civil court.

Property owners and business owners have some legal obligation to keep their premises secured and safe. No matter the case, if a property owner is found negligible and determined to have a hand in the crime committed such as a stabbing, a victim or the family of the victim will secure compensation,” Attorney Kent describes.

Location of Eden Roc Subdivision



Legal Herald News

About Joe LaFrance


Joe is a content writer with a focus on the legal field. He covers cases of sexual abuse, drunk driving, and preventable violent crime for the Legal Herald.

Contact Joe: [email protected]

This article was fact checked prior to publishing by this author to ensure compliance with our rigorous editorial standards. We will only use authoritative sources. Our values compel us to provide only trustworthy information. If you find an error, please contact us.

View All Posts