Ex-Harding Middle Teacher Accused of Sex Abuse, Solicitation
Former Harding Middle School teacher MacKenzie Johnson faces sex abuse and solicitation charges and the alleged victim is a former student. Johnson is charged with lascivious acts with a child, two counts of solicitation, assault with intent to commit sexual abuse, third-degree sexual abuse, and dissemination of obscene materials to a minor.
The alleged victim is an underage male former student but did not have any classes with Johnson. He was 14 years old when Johnson allegedly solicited sex from him after giving him a ride to a sporting event. She is also accused of inappropriately touching and soliciting him for sex at her home in a separate incident.
Johnson was placed on paid administrative leave when the district says they were made aware of the allegations. She resigned from her position on May 17. She was arrested on May 31 and booked at the Polk County Jail.
Hi, I’m attorney Brian Kent.
If you or a loved one is a survivor of sexual abuse, I’d be happy to discuss your legal options.
Call me on the number below. It costs nothing, and it would be my honor to help you.
Legal Options For Victims of Sexual Abuse by Teachers
Here are some general thoughts on the legal options available to teacher sex abuse victims and their families, from attorney contributor Brian Kent of AbuseGuardian.com:
When a teacher is accused of sexually abusing a student, there are several things to consider in the investigation that follows. The victim must get the support they need, the teacher must be removed from the school and investigated, and the school should also be investigated to determine if the abuse could have been prevented.
In some cases of sexual abuse involving teachers, the school district was negligent in a way that enabled the abuse to occur. Some examples of school district negligence in these cases include:
- Hiring an employee without first running a background check
- Failure to report suspected sexual abuse to law enforcement
- Attempting to cover up abuse by an employee
Determining negligence will require a thorough investigation and legal guidance from an experienced sex abuse survivors attorney. If you or a loved one is a survivor of sexual abuse by a school employee, you can learn more about your legal options in a free consultation with one of our attorneys.
Location of Harding Middle School in Des Moines, IA
- San Juan, Texas – Marlena Cantu Killed in Tragic Suspected Drunk Driving Crash, Miguel Lopez Charged with Intoxication Manslaughter - February 6, 2020
- North Merrick, New York – Lisette Quintanilla Killed, 7-Year-Old Son Injured in Tragic DWI Crash on Meadowbrook Parkway - February 5, 2020
- Houston, Texas – Mayra Ospina Left Brain Dead After Tragic DUI Crash with Zachary Castro - January 30, 2020