DUI Accident Suspect Turns Herself Into Police
The suspect in an alleged drunk driving accident that left one man dead and his passenger injured turned herself in to police on September 4. 21-year-old Megan Bretschneider had a warrant issued for her arrest on charges of drunk driving causing serious injury, a five-year-felony. The accident dates back to December 2017.
According to accident reconstruction by the Michigan State Police, Bretschneider was traveling west on US-12 at around 8:30 p.m. on December 2, 2017, when she drifted into oncoming traffic and collided head-on with a vehicle being driven by 38-year-old Christopher Smith, who was heading east on the same road.
Christopher Smith’s 35-year-old wife, Jane Smith, was flown to Ft. Wayne hospital for treatment of serious injuries, including multiple fractures. Christopher Smith was treated and released from ProMedica Coldwater Regional Hospital. Bretschneider was flown to Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.
A warrant for Bretschneider’s arrest was issued on August 30 and she turned herself in to be booked on Tuesday, September 4.
Liability For Drunk Driving Accidents in Michigan
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney would like to add some insight into the legal options available to the victims of drunk drivers:
In Michigan and many other states, victims who have been injured by drunk drivers (along with the family of those killed by drunk drivers) may have the option to file lawsuits against both the drunk driver and, in some circumstances, an alcohol vendor who provided the driver with alcohol.
In order for an alcohol vendor to be held liable for a drunk driving accident, either of the following conditions must apply:
- The individual they served was under age 21, or
- The individual they served was already visibly intoxicated, and
- The providing of this alcohol was a foreseeable cause of the accident.
If you or a loved one was recently hit by a drunk driver and you’d like to learn more about your legal options, we advise discussing your case with an experienced DUI victim lawyer.
The Intersection of Lott Road and US-12
- Beckley, West Virginia – Youth Basketball Coach Brian Kidd Charged with Sexually Abusing Player - July 17, 2019
- Los Angeles, CA – LA County Sheriff’s Investigator Neil Kimball Pleads Guilty to Sexually Abusing Minor While Investigating Case - July 16, 2019
- York County, South Carolina – Tyler J. Cummings Arrested For DUI After 1 Killed, 2 Injured in Crash - July 15, 2019