2 People Injured, 1 Driver Arrested For OWI Following Crash on I-41
A highway maintenance worker and passenger in a vehicle were injured in a crash on I-41 southbound near Ballard Road in Appleton in the early-morning hours of August 18. At around 3:45 a.m., officers responded to reports of a crash involving a vehicle that struck a maintenance worker who was painting lines on the roadway. The passenger in the striking vehicle also was injured. Both were brought to nearby hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries.
No names of the victims or driver have been released. The 27-year-old driver was taken into custody and booked into the Outagamie County Jail on a charge for second offense operating while intoxicated causing injury.
Legal Options For OWI Accident Victims in Wisconsin
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney has some information on drunk driving lawsuits in Wisconsin:
In all 50 states, the victims of drunk drivers usually have the right to file a personal injury claim against the driver. Additionally, many states have their own dram shop laws which allow third parties to be held liable for serving alcohol to drunk drivers under certain circumstances.
In Wisconsin, dram shop laws are a bit more limited than in other states. There are generally two situations in which alcohol vendors and social hosts can be held liable for contributing to a drunk driver’s intoxication:
- When alcohol is served by force or deception
- When alcohol is given to a minor and is a “substantial factor” in causing an injury
If you or a loved one was hit by a drunk driver in Wisconsin and you’re curious about your legal options, we advise speaking with an experienced crime victim lawyer.
I-41 Near Ballard Road in Appleton
- Richmond, Kentucky – Nurse Alvin Buckmaster Charged with Sexually Abusing Patient at Baptist Health Richmond - May 24, 2019
- Las Vegas, Nevada – Chaparral High School Custodian Deamonte Warren Charged with Sexual Misconduct - May 23, 2019
- New London, CT – Former Bennie Dover Jackson Middle School Employee Corriche Gaskin Accused of Sexually Assaulting Student - May 16, 2019