Driver Arrested After Pedestrian Child Injured, Dog Killed in Crash
Police in Anchorage arrested a woman for DUI following a crash on the Lake Otis Parkway that left a child injured and a dog dead on Tuesday night.
39-year-old Kathleen T. Dahl’s vehicle struck a light pole near Lake Otis and Cleo Avenue shortly after 8 p.m. on Tuesday. According to police, Dahl was driving southbound on the Lake Otis Parkway in a 1991 Chevy pickup and speeding and swerving before she hit the curb and light pole. The pole fell over and struck the vehicle and a 10-year-old girl and her dog as they were walking. The girl suffered a deep leg wound.
Dahl was not injured in the crash. Roughly one hour after the accident, her BAC measured at .355 – over four times Alaska’s legal limit of .08. She has been charged with second and third-degree assault, DUI, reckless endangerment, and criminal mischief.
Liability For Drunk Driving Accidents in Alaska
Attorney contributor Brian Kent of CrimeVictim.Attorney has experience helping the victims of drunk drivers get the financial support they deserve. Here are some of his thoughts on third-party liability for drunk driving accidents in Alaska:
In the United States, the victims of drunk drivers often file lawsuits against the driver in order to recover damages related to their injuries. In Alaska and many other states, dram shop and social host liability laws allow alcohol vendors and event hosts to also be held liable for damages if someone they served injures someone else in an alcohol-related accident.
According to Alaska’s dram shop laws, alcohol vendors (like bars, nightclubs, liquor stores, etc.) can be sued by drunk driving victims under either of the following circumstances:
- The vendor continued serving alcohol to someone who was clearly intoxicated, or
- someone who was under age 21, and
- that person injured someone else because they were intoxicated.
If you or someone you love was injured or killed after being hit by a drunk driver, you may find justice in the civil court system. To learn more about your legal options, consider speaking with an experienced DUI victims lawyer.
The Intersection of Cleo Ave and Lake Otis Parkway
- Texas County, Oklahoma – Former Goodwell Public Schools Teacher Luke Loganbill Accused of Child Sex Abuse - May 23, 2019
- Eau Claire, Wisconsin – Manny’s Cocina Restaurant Owner Filiberto Rivera Charged with Sexually Assaulting Employee - May 22, 2019
- Columbus, Ohio – Ohio State Investigation Finds At Least 177 Victims of Sex Abuse by Dr. Richard H. Strauss - May 20, 2019